Thursday, November 13, 2014

Vegetable soup

With the cold weather here for a week or two I thought I would share a soup/stew recipe I found online.  The recipe is for a White bean, Root Vegetable and Adobo Stew.  As near as I can tell, it was published on the following website: 

If you follow the recipe as printed it is vegan as noted in the URL.  
The recipe works well.  It is quick and perfect for a cool day or evening meal. 

Here is a photo of the recipe:

The photo below was taken when I reheated the left overs for a week night dinner.  Of course, I had to poach a couple of eggs in it.  So, this version is not vegan but is ovo-vegetarian.  I really like the richness of a soft poached egg stirred into a soup/stew.

Here is the recipe.  I hope you enjoy.  Please see my notes at the end of the recipe.



White Bean, Root Vegetable, and Adobo Stew 
[makes 6 servings]
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 medium leeks, white and 1′ of pale-green part, diced
5 cups + 2 tablespoons filtered water, divided
3 large turnips, stems removed, rustically cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and rustically cubed
2 gold potatoes (about 1 pound), rustically cubed
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
1 can (7 ounces) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, peppers discarded
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground oregano
salt & pepper to taste
4 cups baby kale, roughly chopped

In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until just hot. 
Add garlic, leeks, and 2 tablespoons water and sauté, stirring frequently, until leeks are soft and garlic is fragrant (about 4 minutes). 
Add turnips, carrots, potatoes, and beans and toss to combine. 
Add adobo sauce and spices and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute).
Add 5 cups of water and bring chili to a boil. 
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender. Remove from heat and gently stir in baby kale until just wilted. Serve and enjoy!

Notes:
I  did not add the water to the olive oil to saute the garlic and leeks.  I just used the olive oil and it worked just fine.
I made the recipe as noted and the spice level was fine for me.  If your spice tolerance is a little low, hold back on some of the adobo.  You can always add more adobo, but it is difficult to remove if it is too spicy.
Please do not discard the peppers.  Put them into a container and save in your refrigerator for another use.  
The water, listed, can  be replaced with vegetable stock or broth if you desire.
I had to add an additional 2 cups of water to the recipe.
If you are not vegetarian, you could replace the water with chicken stock.  More flavor.
I personally will probably add another can of beans next time.
A little pasta of some kind would make a nice addition.
A little quinoa would also go well.
Even though this recipe is vegetarian in nature, I could see adding a little smoked meat or poultry of some kind to the recipe.  It would go well with the flavor of the broth.

http://inmybowl.com/2014/10/23/white-bean-root-vegetable-stew-adobo-chili-vegan/

I hope you enjoy.
Until next time.
Bon Appetit
Chef Leslie Bartosh

No comments:

Post a Comment