Thursday, December 11, 2014

Holiday recipe

With the holidays upon us, time seems to be in even shorter supply than normal.  This is a recipe that takes minimum effort and time.  It is hearty, which I like, and satisfying.  It lends itself to advance preparation and reheating.  I like this recipe. 
I tried to find the origins of it and was surprised at how many websites listed it.  I feel like I may be one of the last to find out.  LOL.  Regardless, I am glad I found it.  It has a spot in the dish rotation in my home.  I hope you enjoy.  As usual, my changes will be listed at the end.


UN~STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
Yields: 6 - 8 servings

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small green cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
Preparation:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.


Notes:  I added an extra can of tomato sauce and increased the garlic to 4 cloves.  The recipe is not too touchy about exact amounts of cabbage to beef.  Adjust it to the ratio you like.
I read variations on this recipe that included:
Cooking rice in the mixture
Adding cooked rice at the end.
Adding quinoa to it.
Draining the fat off the meat in a strainer to lighten it - to even rinsing the cooked meat with hot water.
Think of this recipe as a starting point and adapt it to your tastes and desires.

I hope you enjoy.
Until next time:
Bon Appetit Y'all
Chef Leslie Bartosh

No comments:

Post a Comment